The Trafford Data Lab supports decision-making in Trafford, Greater Manchester, by revealing patterns in data through visualisation. You can find out more about us here. We provide various outputs from raw open data to visualisations as thematic profiles and interactive maps. We are also involved in various open data and data visualisation projects.
Below you can find links to recent publications by the Lab including instructive blog posts and data releases.
- Info: Launch of our interactive Crime Scanner application.
Interactively visualise street level crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB) incidents in your area using data from data.police.uk. View and export data for the last 3 years for the whole of England at Local Authority level through to Electoral Ward and LSOA where available, filtered by category.
- Tool: Leaflet accepts our Reachability plugin.
Following the release in September, the Leaflet mapping library have included our reachability plugin in their list of approved plugins.
- Project: Release of our OpenGovIntelligence applications.
A suite of three web applications have been developed as part of the OpenGovIntelligence project. The apps with accompanying documentation can be found on our dedicated project landing page. We have also published a Medium article on improving the discoverability of worklessness data to accompany this release.
- Map: Updated road casualties data interactive application.
We have released an update to our web application that allows users to explore road casualties reported in Trafford during 2017.
- Map: Release of our new reachability plugin for our Explore mapping application.
Read more about it in our Medium article.
- Info: Preliminary release of our new Ward Profiler application.
- Info: Discover individual and aggregated population figures for different statistical and administrative geographies with our Population Picker.
- Tool: Reachability.
A prototype application showing the places you can get to from a given point by different modes of travel in a specified time. Uses network distance (roads, footpaths etc.) rather than straight line (Euclidean).
- Info: Open data companion published.
This companion provides R code demonstrating how to retrieve and tidy open data from a number of government APIs.
- Map: Explore application updated with new datasets and a clustering option for point data.
- Info: Life expectancy profile, part of the Health category is now available.
- Info: Unemployment profile, part of the Labour Market category is now available.
- Info: Road Safety profile, part of the Transport category is now available.
- Map: Explore the different geographic areas of Trafford and visualise all of our spatial datasets in one application.
- Tool: Create your own spatial data with Plotter.
- Map: Interactively explore green spaces in Trafford.
- Info: ggplot2 graphics companion published
Want to see how we produce our visualisations? This companion demonstrates the different types of visualisation that are possible with the ggplot2 package in R, providing code for each of the examples.
- Info: Demographics profiles are now available.
- Blog: Announcing our new website
We are excited to announce our new website embodying our commitment to clarity, openness and reproducibility.